Mar Vista Elementary School for Advanced Studies extends a warm welcome to all of you for the 2012-13 school year. The teachers, staff, and I look forward to an exciting new school year. We especially look forward to the continued collaboration and partnership between the school, parents, and community. Thank you in advance for the numerous hours that you will spend volunteering in our classrooms, at our school, in our community, and even in your homes to support our students and school. Your support and generous contributions help us to improve student learning, achievement, enrichment, and overall enjoyment of school.
Mar Vista has had some staffing changes this school year. We wish the following staff members all the best as they embark on new adventures, and thank them for their years of dedication at Mar Vista.
- Heather Brown is pursuing a degree in occupational therapy. She still loves to work with students individually and can be contacted here.
- Renay Compere is pursuing a business opportunity in personal fitness. Visit her at Pop Physique in Santa Monica.
- Estelle Robles has transferred to Bertrand Elementary in the valley to be closer to family and friends.
- Janet Morgan has transferred to Venice High School to teach special day classes in English and US History.
- Cambra Gilbert is the happy owner of a new home (not locally).
- Alree Young, Assistant Principal; Michelle Rauld, School Psychologist; and Roy Shildt, Special Ed Asst, have been assigned to other school sites by the district.
We extend our sincerest welcome to our new staff members and know they will become an integral part of our school family.
- Welcome Ellen Hirsch, our new APEIS. She has worked for LAUSD for many years as a special ed teacher and resource specialist in both secondary and elementary schools, a Specialist with the District Intern Program helping new teachers to get their credentials in mild/moderate and moderate/severe disabilities, and an APEIS. We are fortunate to have such a knowledgeable administrator at our site.
- Welcome Julie Anne Webb, our new kindergarten teacher. She has been an educator for over ten years, teaching at Baldwin Hills and 32nd Street/USC Visual & Performing Arts Magnet, and was a Dance Specialist with the Arts Branch. We look forward to the positive energy and creativity she brings to Mar Vista.
- Welcome Esther Ta, our new Resource Specialist Teacher for the upper grades. She has been a general ed teacher for ten years at Wilshire Crest Elementary, took some time off to have and raise two boys, and taught an MRM Special Day Class at Oxnard Street Elementary. We look forward to the collaborative effort she will bring to our team.
- Michelle Ombao has returned as a long-term sub in one of our 1st grade classes.